Lately I hear a lot of "you must be really busy!" and "you have got your hands full!" referring to the workload of taking care of 5 children all with a tone of pity for me. I get these comments all the time now and I've been thinking a lot about how I should respond to such "pity".
Typically, I respond by saying "yes, praise the Lord my hands are full of blessings." I am so thankful for each of my children and they bring so much joy. I used to work and had other things that kept me busy. I juggled running my own house cleaning business, going to college, taking care of my little brother, participating in church, babysitting, and going on mission trips. Never did I get similar comments to the ones mentioned above. I wonder if CEOs hear these sorts of things. I doubt it. I love having kids much more than I liked doing the working outside of the home thing.
Really, I think these comments bluntly show how our culture does not value children or investing in their lives. Abortion is clearly the worst example of this. It's hard to think about how so many of these atrocities happen in our country on a daily basis. Beyond this, we live in an age of birth control, daycares, public school and after-school care and nannies. Children are seen as a burden and a hindrance and not a blessing. This is old news to many of you reading this, but it seems to be getting worse and worse. I haven't even been noticing for over a decade!
Even on one of my busiest days, I am so thankful God has blessed me with being able to stay home and take care of my children. Take a day this week: one child throwing up, another with diarrhea, 2-3 loads of laundry to be done, lessons to teach, 3 meals to make, a doctor's appointment to keep, a husband to drive to work (we have one vehicle), shopping to do, a baby to nurse, minor emergencies sprinkled in there. This is busy and, honestly, not always the most fun. However, at the end of the day, what do you get? You get a clean house, well-behaved kids, children who adore you, a husband who can't believe he has such a great wife and mother to his children, a sense of accomplishment, sanctification, the peace that comes with knowing you're obeying God's word (Titus 2:2-4), money saved, a bright future ahead, character strengthened, and the blessings just continue to multiply with every day you continue to follow what the Lord has set out.
"Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." -Titus 2:4-5
The truth is, yes I am busy, but I am not to be pitied. I am blessed! Everyone I know is busy doing something. I rejoice and am glad that I am "busy at home" as the Bible says to do. My husband values all that I do and loves me. My kids are such a joy and fill my life with love and happiness. Of course, Jesus loves me to the uttermost.
I pray that God opens the eyes of women everywhere to the wonderful work in their own homes and taking care of their own children. I don't think you can really experience the joy of being at home without seeing life through a Christian lens. God has certainly changed my heart to value and enjoy different things compared to when I was a 20-year old working student. I thoroughly enjoy when we all sit around the living room and sing to God Most High and hear Chad read God's Word to us. I like the 1 hour drive on Sundays to church...it's very relaxing and enjoyable to just talk, sing and laugh as we prepare to worship our gracious God. I like when my daughters fix my hair to make me "pretty for Daddy" : ) I like when the girls do their quiet reading in the afternoons and I see them growing up so beautifully (by His grace). I'm also able to write in my journal and read the Bible. My days are full of productive things to do and my heart is filled to the brim with love and thankfulness. Of course, I am able to check my email, update the blog, see how my friends and family are doing on Facebook. This is fun too.
I also must say that I truly have an amazing husband and I would not want to parent even one child without him! Besides such a helpful and supportive husband I have 3 of the most amazing older helpful girls! They can do so much it really amazes me! It was some work up front training them how to fold clothes, wash dishes, scrub toilets, clean off the table, straighten up rooms, etc., but now I can just give a word and it's done. Sometimes this takes a few words. : ) However, sometimes it doesn't take any words (i.e. they take initiative). The fun of parenting!
I also must say that I truly have an amazing husband and I would not want to parent even one child without him! Besides such a helpful and supportive husband I have 3 of the most amazing older helpful girls! They can do so much it really amazes me! It was some work up front training them how to fold clothes, wash dishes, scrub toilets, clean off the table, straighten up rooms, etc., but now I can just give a word and it's done. Sometimes this takes a few words. : ) However, sometimes it doesn't take any words (i.e. they take initiative). The fun of parenting!
Besides having help, even if I don't have help from the more capable members of the family, I have help from the Lord. It is He who gives me the strength to face each new day full of hope and love and purpose. He prepared these works in advance for me to do (Ephesians 2:10). Again, we are blessed as Christians and know truly that Jesus loves us to the uttermost.
What can I say but "I am blessed!"?
Here are a few recent pictures:
Christopher snuggling with Mommy in the sling
Learning how much fun it is to color
Proud big sister : )
3 dresses down, 1 more to go!
