Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hypothyroidism



I struggle with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease.  I developed this condition after our 2nd child was born and 6 years later it still affects me everyday.  Half of my thyroid was removed.  Some days I feel great but most I feel tired all day long, like today.  I take medication for this condition and it gives me some energy for which I'm very thankful. 
  



One of the goals I have for myself is to be as much like the Proverbs 31 woman as possible.  But, I have a feeling that *she* did not struggle with thyroid issues.  I may not get up while it is dark but it is still giving the Lord and family my best when I get up at 7am.  I try to work with eager hands by God’s grace; but not for more than 2 hours straight.  Some days I need a nap to get enough energy to get through the second half of the day.  I sew and I cook (which I truly enjoy) but I have to be careful not to over-commit to outside activities nor leave the house 5-6 days a week.  I used to be able to do everything, but it seems so difficult now.  God has shown me to stick to the tasks that honor Him and bring joy to my husband and children.  Of course, some of these things include serving the church and hospitality.  It is so fun to do these things and I wish I had more energy to serve more.  What a blessing 2 Corinthians 4:7 is:   But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us and 12:10… For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.   
I am so full of weaknesses, but praise God for His grace and faithfulness.  He is always full of strength and always there to depend on. 
 
The Bible commands that we "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life...." Philippians 2:14-16

I have to see how I can be a blessing and how God is using it for His glory.  Looking back, I see God’s providence in slowing me down.  I used to go 100 miles an hour (just ask my parents how difficult it was raising me!).  I have slowed down so much over the last decade or so.  I now know my body's limitations, ask for help more often and enjoy the little things in life that I might have missed had I not had this disease.    
Jesus also said to not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow has enough worries of it's own...amen!  My prayer for all of those who suffer from anything from hypothyroidism or Lupus to the stomach flu and everything in-between (myself included) is to continue to strive to glorify God even in your weakness and take care of your body and serve those around you with the strength that God gives!