Friday, August 26, 2011

More Sewing Projects


I'm learning how to make boy clothes!  Christopher is growing so fast and I need to keep up in the clothing department.  Here is the tutorial (and free printable pattern) for little boy shorts and/or pants: http://www.dana-made-it.com/2011/05/kid-shorts-free-pattern-and-tutorial.html
Christopher's new shorts
Look how tall he's getting!

I used a dark corduroy fabric which I just adore.  Heavy and dark are both great for little boys' clothing.  That way they can keep on being rough and tumble and mommy will be assured the clothes will last longer : )  I really like how they turned out.  The only thing I will do differently when I make another pair is to make the top portion larger due to him wearing a diaper.  I think the pattern was designed for a potty trained 2 or 3 year old.  For now they fit him fine and, Lord willing, he will soon be completely potty trained.  

I also thought I'd share another possible variation with the peasant blouse I mentioned in the last post.  You can really get creative with the fabric you use.  I chose a heavy denim for the sleeves and waist band and a black and white flowered rayon fabric for the main body of the blouse.  I don't know if these two are supposed to go together but I just really wanted to be creative and try something new.  
Anna likes her new shirt
Close up of the waist and sleeve
The waist took the longest on this.  I got the idea from this link: http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-shirt-dress.html
I sewed on an extra wide fabric casing and used 3 strips of elastic to gather the waist (each section separated by a straight stitched line).  Anna's happy with it and my mind is soaring with all the possibilities for future shirts (and dresses)!  

Now my sewing machine is at the shop getting serviced so that means I have to take a break from sewing.  I can't wait to get back to it and finish my much needed (bigger) maternity shirt for my ever expanding tummy...and hopefully also some new clothes for baby Adelyn.  I'm planning to make some long-sleeved onesies and soft cotton baby pants.  Hope you all have a great weekend and honor our Lord in what you do!
Love,
Sandi