This is a tried and true recipe! Fast and easy too. Out of our almost 10 years of marriage I've probably made this more than anything else (per Chad's request). It's also the recipe I'm asked for the most from friends out of any other recipe. I hope you get a chance to try! It just may become a staple in your house ; )
This recipe is really flexible and is the main reason I don't have exact amounts here on everything...it's more of a guide than an exact recipe...I'm sure you can modify this in a hundred different ways and it will still turn out good. Enjoy!
Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients:
-approx. 2 lbs. freshly cooked chicken, chunked (white and dark meat)*
-1 can chopped green chilies (we use mild)
-1 can refried pinto beans (try to keep beans to chicken a 50:50 ratio)
-red enchilada sauce (we like Old El Paso or Pace)
-1 to 2 lbs. shredded cheddar cheese
-flour tortillas (any size)
Optional: Sliced black olives and/or freeze-dried cilantro flakes to sprinkle on top
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first 3 ingredients together in a bowl along with about a cup of the cheese. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour a small amount of the enchilada sauce on bottom of casserole dish and move dish around to coat the entire bottom. Put a large scoop of the filling in a flour tortilla and roll up. Fill casserole dish with the filled tortillas. Cover the tops of the filled tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce until well-coated. Now sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Optional: sprinkle sliced olives and/or cilantro flakes on top of the cheese. Cover with tin foil, being careful not to allow foil to touch cheese but still keeping casserole dish sealed to lock in moisture. Bake at 350 for approx. 35 minutes until filling is hot and bubbly. Serve with sour cream. Delicious!
*Often times I'll pick the meat off of a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to make these even faster.