Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One Week Old and Post-Surgery Update

Evan is one week old now and wow has this past week been a whirlwind characterized by much activity, lack of sleep and God's faithfulness being clearly displayed.  Evan's surgery went perfectly.  He even came out of surgery looking better than when he went in.  Before surgery, the area between his right eye and nose was swollen with build-up from the cyst which was blocking the normal drainage that should have been taking place.  When he came out, his face and eyes looked much more symmetrical and you could see that the pressure had been relieved.  It took him a long time to wake up and sleep off the anesthesia.  I can't remember how many hours but it was a long time.  When he did wake up he cried for another long period of time.  I don't know if he didn't like the way he felt or if he was in pain.  He also refused to nurse during this period of crying.  After much prayer he finally latched on and began to nurse after having not eaten (nursed) for 12 hours.  He did have a "sugar water" IV going through him so the hospital kept his blood sugar stable during this time.  I was SOOO happy when he finally nursed.  What better nutrients could he receive to help him recover?  Evan had to stay in the hospital for 24+ hours for observation to make sure he was doing good.  At this point, I was SOOO SOOO ready to get home.  It was extremely difficult for both Evan and I to get any sleep in the hospital.   The nurses would come in and wake us both up often day and night to check vitals or monitors would beep, or it would be too uncomfortable to sleep.  It was particularly miserable for me being only 6 days post partum and not having the comforts of home.  Also still struggling with getting used to my milk coming in as well as other aches and pains.  Seeing Chad and the kids pick us up was so refreshing to me.  Chad takes such good care of me whenever I have a baby...better than any nurse or hospital ever could.  He is an amazing husband and father.  He thinks ahead of what I'll need and tenderly cares for me out of love which makes a huge difference.  Anyway, we are home now, Evan's doing great after surgery, his bilirubin levels are normal now,  we are getting into a breastfeeding groove and Evan and I both are starting to get a normal amount of sleep for this stage of post birth recovery.  Praise God!  Pictures below:

Evan the night before surgery

Pastor John and his daughter Ellen.  He came and ministered to us and prayed for Evan at home and in the hospital and his daughter watched our kids while we were in the hospital.  They were such a blessing to us during this time!

Chad and I with Evan right before surgery

Waiting for Evan to wake up post-surgery

Pediatrician examining Evan post-surgery (he was stirring but still hadn't woken up or nursed yet at his point)

Evan in his hospital bassinet 

Evan in his little gown (he likes to sleep on this nursing pillow in between feedings sometimes)

Evan home, one week old and doing great!

"Thank you for praying for me!"