Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mom's Healthy Chicken Soup


Whenever we start seeing illness popping up in our home we make this soup!  Very healthy, easy to make and a lot of fun too when everyone pitches in : )  

I begin by boiling chicken tenders in a smaller pot (about 1/2 a bag).
Then I grab the biggest pot I have.  Pour in some chicken broth (about 10 cups) and parboiled brown or wild rice (1-2 cups).  Get that boiling and in the meantime...gather a few little helpers.   

Christopher is my "stir-er".  Here he is mixing the water, bouillon cubes and rice.

Olivia chops celery.  1 whole "bunch" or about 4 cups chopped.

Anna helps by peeling carrots.  About 8-10.

Sophia chops mushrooms with a butter knife.  About 1 whole package.

Mommy chops the kale leaves.  Lacinto and Red pictured here.

Chop and throw into the pot the mushrooms, carrots, celery and kales.  Press and add an entire bulb of garlic.  When the chicken is cooked through, chop and add to the soup.  Along with fresh cracked pepper and salt to taste.  Also more chicken broth if needed.



I like to drizzle a little olive oil over the top when veggies are tender and broth tastes just right.  Stir and then it's ready to serve!

A delicious and healthy bowl of soup for everyone.  This feeds a large family dinner and lunch the next day!
I've really noticed that this soup helps to speed healing and can even help some kiddos not catch the same bugs as their siblings.  Enjoy!