He met my Grandmother in China (Shanghai) while in the Navy. They married and settled in Idaho, raising 7 children together (my Mom being the 4th child and 1st girl). My Grandfather worked in a saw mill for many years where he later retired. My mom often remembers riding her bike to bring him lunch as a young girl. He was hard-working, frugal yet generous, unashamedly pro-life, funny and kind. Quite the mix isn't it?
Having a newborn (and the whole family sick right now) there is no way we'll be able to make the long drive to Idaho for the funeral this Friday. I am so sad I cannot be there to mourn his loss and be there to comfort my family. What I can do is remember God's tremendous grace for sinners and appreciate that my Grandfather believed that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He was the perfect sacrifice for our sins. This brings me hope...
"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9
Obviously, there is much, much more to the Bible than just that one verse....but it is a glorious promise! Here are words to a song that also share this great hope and it being a free gift of God and not of our doing:
Not What My Hands Have Done
Not what my hands have done
Can save my guilty soul
Not what my toiling flesh has borne
Can make my spirit whole
Not what I feel or do
Can give me peace with God
Not all my prayers and sighs and tears
Can bear my awful load
Thy work alone, Oh Christ
Can ease this weight of sin
Thy blood alone, Oh Lamb of God
Can give me peace within
Thy love to me, Oh God
Not mine, Oh Lord, to Thee
Can rid me of my dark unrest
And set my spirit free
And I bless the Christ of God
I rest on love divine
And with unfaltering lip and heart
I call this Savior mine
His cross dispels each doubt
I bury in His tomb
Each thought of unbelief and fear
Each lingering shade of gloom
And I praise the God of grace
I trust His truth and light
He calls me His, I call Him mine
My God, my joy, my life
Tis He Who saveth me
And freely pardon gives
I love because He loveth me
I live because He lives
Can save my guilty soul
Not what my toiling flesh has borne
Can make my spirit whole
Not what I feel or do
Can give me peace with God
Not all my prayers and sighs and tears
Can bear my awful load
Thy work alone, Oh Christ
Can ease this weight of sin
Thy blood alone, Oh Lamb of God
Can give me peace within
Thy love to me, Oh God
Not mine, Oh Lord, to Thee
Can rid me of my dark unrest
And set my spirit free
And I bless the Christ of God
I rest on love divine
And with unfaltering lip and heart
I call this Savior mine
His cross dispels each doubt
I bury in His tomb
Each thought of unbelief and fear
Each lingering shade of gloom
And I praise the God of grace
I trust His truth and light
He calls me His, I call Him mine
My God, my joy, my life
Tis He Who saveth me
And freely pardon gives
I love because He loveth me
I live because He lives
We all will travel down the road my Grandfather has just travelled. Death comes to us all. But, praise God there was one who travelled that road for us and rose again and conquered death for those of us who believe, giving us HOPE for eternal life!
There is hope in no other name than Jesus!
"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12
